For nearly 40 years, UW Health has employed Advanced Practice Providers (APPs) including nurse practitioners (NP), physician assistants (PA) and certified nurse midwives (CNM).
UW Health also employs other advanced practice professionals, including certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNA), certified nurse specialists (CNS) and other allied health professions across our health system.
Our providers play an integral role in our inpatient and ambulatory care teams by providing high-quality, cost-effective care to patients through interdisciplinary team collaboration that results in a satisfying experience for our patients.
Read our program brochure (pdf)
Facts About UW Health Advanced Practice Providers
- UW Health employs nearly 600 NP/PA/CNMs in direct care provider roles.
- UW Health has a growing APP leadership structure through the Office of Advanced Practice, which includes a director of Advanced Practice, APP managers, APP supervisors and APP leads.
- UW Health has a dedicated council to support and advance the practice of APPs within our organization.
- We have APPs in nearly all clinical areas including:
- Emergency and Critical Care
- Infectious Diseases
- Medicine and medicine subspecialties
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Orthopedics, Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Primary Care
- Rheumatology and Arthritis
- Surgery and surgery subspecialties including cardiothoracic surgery, colon and rectal surgery, ENT (ear, nose and throat), endocrine surgery, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, plastic and reconstructive surgery, thoracic surgery and transplant surgery
- Urgent Care
- Our practices span Dane County and the surrounding region with primary care, specialty ambulatory care and inpatient services provided at UW Health hospitals and clinics, and many outreach locations.