“The nurse extern program helped me build and become confident in my nursing skills. As well as allowed me to begin learning about more of the specialized treatments and procedures that were done on my unit. This is what really showed me that being an oncology nurse is my calling.”
— Mackenzie Blease
“Learning in a classroom and reading textbooks is one way I learned nursing practices, but real experience with patients allowed me to further my knowledge and practical skills. The nurse externship allowed me to feel competent in certain skills I will use throughout the rest of my nursing career. I am excited to see what the future holds for me and the different opportunities that I will have down the road in my nursing career!”
— Chloe Cass
What is the rate of pay? The hourly rate of pay for Summer 2024 Nurse Externs will be $20 per hour.
Will I need to purchase a uniform for the externship? No, you do not need to purchase a uniform.
Can I apply to stay with the organization as a Student Nurse Assistant or Certified Nursing Assistant after the externship? Yes, we encourage you to consider joining our team.
Is housing available for the summer? Single or double occupancy air conditioned rooms with laundry and kitchen facilities are reserved at Merit Residence Hall on W. Dayton St. on the UW-Madison campus for a reasonable rate. A meal plan option can be purchased from a nearby university dining hall.
Is parking available for the summer? Parking information will be sent to you once you accept your offer of employment. UW Health also offers a free bus pass.
What will my schedule look like? Nurse externs will work 36 hours per week. You will be expected to be available for all shifts, including days, evenings, nights and weekends. Your schedule will mirror your clinical coach’s schedule.
Can I apply for the Nurse Residency Program while I am a Nurse Extern? Yes. Applications for Fall 2024 and Winter 2025 Nurse Residency cohorts will open during the Nurse Externship Program. If you are a spring graduate applying for the Summer 2025 Nurse Residency cohort, you can apply beginning on August 1, 2024.
Additional questions? Contact Erin Schmitt, BSN, RN, Nurse Recruiter, at email@example.com
The Externship runs from May 28, 2024 – August 2, 2024.
Applications will be accepted between November 1, 2023 – January 7, 2024.
Apply via this online application. Please include the following items:
- Please include clinical hours/locations and expected graduation month and year
- Unofficial Academic Transcript
- Goal Statement: The goal statement is an essay that includes the following components:
- Share two specific personal goals that you have for yourself if you are selected for this program.
- Describe how your previous clinical and work experience has prepared you to be a nurse extern at UW Health.
- UW Health is committed to becoming more diverse and inclusive as a health care provider and workplace. How would you contribute to this as a nurse extern?
Program dates: May 28, 2024 – August 2, 2024
Gain valuable experience in patient care as a paid Nurse Extern at UW Health. This opportunity is for students:
- Currently enrolled in a Baccalaureate Nursing Program, who have successfully completed two clinical rotations and anticipate graduation between December 2024 to June 2025.
- Current UW Health employees who are enrolled in an Associate Degree Nursing Program who have successfully completed two clinical rotations and anticipate graduation between December 2024 to June 2025.
You’ll help provide remarkable care alongside an RN Clinical Coach during a ten-week immersion experience. This opportunity will enhance your clinical knowledge and provide valuable direct patient care experience at our Magnet-designated academic medical center.
- Nurse Externs will work in one department during this 10-week program to provide an immersion experience within that specialty.
- Nurse Extern opportunities are available in a variety of settings:
- Inpatient placement will include adult and pediatric care units at our Level 1 Trauma Center – University Hospital, American Family Children’s Hospital and East Madison Hospital. Examples of participating specialties are medical, surgical, critical care, and psychiatry.
- Emergency Services, perioperative services and ambulatory procedural care placement options may also be available.
- Please review the department descriptions. Clinical areas of interest will be discussed during your interview.
- Nurse Externs will work alongside an RN Clinical Coach and will perform hands-on patient care.
- Recruitment will review your application. If you are selected, you will be contacted for a virtual interview with a Nurse Recruiter.
- Affordable housing is available on the UW-Madison campus, which is a short distance to the medical center.