“Participating in the Nurse Externship at UW Health was a great experience. It allowed me to practice all of the things I learned in my first year of nursing school. It has boosted my confidence as a future nurse in so many ways and I have built many strong connections with colleagues on my unit. I feel more prepared going into my nursing career and I would recommend this program to everyone!”
— Aly Johnson
Student nursing assistant
“The Nurse Externship was very helpful in starting my career with UW Health. The program gave me the additional training that nursing school simply cannot provide. By the end of the program, I could confidently go into a patient room to change a dressing, pass medications and perform many other nursing cares. The externship was also critical in building long-lasting relationships with nurses, respiratory therapists, and other health care professionals which expanded my professional network across UW Health. I still stay in touch with my RN Clinical Coach and she has proven to be pivotal in guiding and advancing my nursing career.”
— Eric Kubash
Student nursing assistant
What is the rate of pay?
The hourly rate of pay for Summer 2023 Nurse Externs will be $20 per hour.
Will I need to purchase a uniform for the externship?
No, you do not need to purchase a uniform.
Can I apply to stay with the organization as a Student Nurse Assistant or Certified Nursing Assistant after the externship?
Yes, we encourage you to consider joining our team.
Is parking available for the summer?
Yes, parking information will be sent to you once you accept your offer of employment. UW Health also offers a free bus pass.
What will my schedule look like?
Nurse externs will work 36 to 40 hours per week, depending on the clinical department. You will be expected to be available for all shifts, including days, evenings, nights and weekends. Your schedule will mirror your clinical coach’s schedule.
Can I apply for the Nurse Residency Program while I am a Nurse Extern?
Yes. Applications for Fall 2023 and Winter 2024 Nurse Residency cohorts will be open during the Nurse Externship Program. If you are a spring graduate applying for the Summer 2024 Nurse Residency cohort, you can apply beginning on August 1, 2023.
Contact Erin Schmitt, BSN RN, Nurse Recruiter, at email@example.com
Apply via this online application. Please include the following items:
- Please include clinical hours/locations and expected graduation month and year
- Unofficial Academic Transcript
- Goal Statement: The goal statement is an essay that includes the following components:
- Share two specific personal goals that you have for yourself if you are selected for this program.
- Describe how your previous clinical and work experience has prepared you to be a nurse extern at UW Health.
- UW Health is committed to becoming more diverse and inclusive as a health care provider and workplace. How would you contribute to this as a nurse extern?
Gain valuable experience in patient care as a paid Nurse Extern at UW Health. This opportunity is for students currently enrolled in a Baccalaureate School of Nursing Program, who are graduating between December 2023 to June 2024 and who have successfully completed two clinical rotations.
You’ll help provide remarkable care alongside an RN Clinical Coach during a ten-week immersion experience. This opportunity will enhance your clinical knowledge and provide valuable direct patient care experience at our Magnet-designated Level 1 Trauma, academic medical center.
- Nurse Externs will work in one department during this 10-week program to provide an immersion experience within that specialty.
- You will have an opportunity to swap a shift with an extern in a different clinical area.
- Nurse Extern opportunities are available in a variety of settings:
- Inpatient placement will include adult and pediatric care units at University Hospital, American Family Children’s Hospital and East Madison Hospital. Examples of participating specialties are medical, surgical, critical care, and psychiatry.
- Emergency Services, perioperative services and ambulatory care placement options will also be available.
- Nurse Externs will work alongside an RN Clinical Coach and will perform hands-on patient care. One interdisciplinary shadow experience can be sought out by the extern if interested.
- Recruitment will review your application and if selected, you will be contacted for a virtual interview with a Nurse Recruiter.
- Clinical areas of interest will be discussed at the time of interview.
- We encourage you to apply now in order to secure your placement early.