Gain valuable experience in patient care as a paid Nurse Extern at UW Health. This opportunity is for students currently enrolled in a Baccalaureate School of Nursing Program, who are graduating between December 2023 to June 2024 and who have successfully completed two clinical rotations.
You’ll help provide remarkable care alongside an RN Clinical Coach during a ten-week immersion experience. This opportunity will enhance your clinical knowledge and provide valuable direct patient care experience at our Magnet-designated Level 1 Trauma, academic medical center.
- Nurse Externs will work in one department during this 10-week program to provide an immersion experience within that specialty.
- You will have an opportunity to swap a shift with an extern in a different clinical area.
- Nurse Extern opportunities are available in a variety of settings:
- Inpatient placement will include adult and pediatric care units at University Hospital, American Family Children’s Hospital and East Madison Hospital. Examples of participating specialties are medical, surgical, critical care, and psychiatry.
- Emergency Services, perioperative services and ambulatory care placement options will also be available.
- Nurse Externs will work alongside an RN Clinical Coach and will perform hands-on patient care. One interdisciplinary shadow experience can be sought out by the extern if interested.
- Recruitment will review your application and if selected, you will be contacted for a virtual interview with a Nurse Recruiter.
- Clinical areas of interest will be discussed at the time of interview.
- We encourage you to apply now in order to secure your placement early.