Program dates: May 28, 2024 – August 2, 2024
Gain valuable experience in patient care as a paid Nurse Extern at UW Health. This opportunity is for students:
- Currently enrolled in a Baccalaureate Nursing Program, who have successfully completed two clinical rotations and anticipate graduation between December 2024 to June 2025.
- Current UW Health employees who are enrolled in an Associate Degree Nursing Program who have successfully completed two clinical rotations and anticipate graduation between December 2024 to June 2025.
You’ll help provide remarkable care alongside an RN Clinical Coach during a ten-week immersion experience. This opportunity will enhance your clinical knowledge and provide valuable direct patient care experience at our Magnet-designated academic medical center.
- Nurse Externs will work in one department during this 10-week program to provide an immersion experience within that specialty.
- Nurse Extern opportunities are available in a variety of settings:
- Inpatient placement will include adult and pediatric care units at our Level 1 Trauma Center – University Hospital, American Family Children’s Hospital and East Madison Hospital. Examples of participating specialties are medical, surgical, critical care, and psychiatry.
- Emergency Services, perioperative services and ambulatory procedural care placement options may also be available.
- Please review the department descriptions. Clinical areas of interest will be discussed during your interview.
- Nurse Externs will work alongside an RN Clinical Coach and will perform hands-on patient care.
- Recruitment will review your application. If you are selected, you will be contacted for a virtual interview with a Nurse Recruiter.
- Affordable housing is available on the UW-Madison campus, which is a short distance to the medical center.