UW Health is committed to cultivating an interest in a career in healthcare as well as educating and training healthcare’s future workforce through a variety of programs and educational opportunities.
Andrew Brown started at UW Health in the Dietary Department. He soon moved to become a unit coordinator then a nursing assistant, until he eventually completed his degree to become a registered nurse.
Here at UW Health in Madison, Wis., we offer a variety of residencies to provide real-life training to medical professionals seeking careers in health care. We offer well-rounded and challenging programs in a world-class academic medical center.
- UW Health Athletic Training Residency
- Acute Care Physical Therapy Residency
- Neurologic Physical Therapy Residency Program
- Nurse Residency Program
- Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency
- Pediatric Physical Therapy Residency
- Pharmacy residency programs (Wisconsin)
- Pharmacy residency programs (Northern Illinois)
- Sports Physical Therapy Residency
- Acute and Critical Care Occupational Therapist Fellowship
- Advanced Practice Pharmacy Clerkship
- Advanced Practice Provider Fellowship
- Athletic Training: Forward Madison FC Internship
- Athletic Training: Madison Mallards Internship
- Athletic Training Student Clinical Internship
- Child Life Internship
- Dietetic Internship
- Exercise Sciences Student Internship
Volunteer and job shadow opportunities
At UW Health, volunteers play an important role in the overall success of our organization. They assist patients, their families and visitors to our facilities and are valued members of the health care team. UW Health has nearly 900 active individuals volunteering their time. Learn more about becoming a volunteer at UW Health.
UW Health allows individuals to visit UW Health facilities to learn about the care provided at UW Health and about careers in healthcare through job shadow opportunities. Learn more about the process for becoming eligible to job shadow and obtaining a sponsor to job shadow.
UW Health’s Career Pathways Program is proactively working to address projected workforce shortages, build internal and external pathways for specific healthcare careers, and build a more diverse UW Health workforce through strategic partnerships. Some highlighted offerings include:
Health Occupations and Professions Exploration (HOPE) – Designed to aid underrepresented high school students in exploring careers in healthcare. Students are paired with a mentor that guides the students as they research healthcare careers and education opportunities.
Summer internships – Students who participate in HOPE are eligible to apply for a summer internship at UW Health. UW Health collaborates with various community partners such as Boys and Girls Club of Dane County, Centro Hispano of Dane County and INROADS to host more than 80 middle school, high school and college interns for summer internships.
Adult training – UW Health partners with numerous community organizations such as the Urban League of Greater Madison, Centro Hispano of Dane County and Madison Urban Ministries to offer education, training and employment opportunities to under- or unemployed individuals in the Dane County community.
UW Health offers two-year schools in ultrasound sonography, echocardiography sonography and radiologic technology, a pharmacy technician training program as well as emergency education training.
- School of Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- School of Radiologic Technology (Wisconsin)
- School of Radiography (Northern Illinois)
- Medical Assistant Apprenticeship Program
- Nursing Assistant Training Program
- Pharmacy Technician Training Apprenticeship Program
- UW Health Emergency Education Center
- Educational Experiences in Northern Illinois
Learn at Work Program
UW Health offers Learn at Work as a career development program for entry-level employees who want to develop their skills and grow their careers at UW Health. Participants attend class on paid time, and classes help employees:
- Develop job skills
- Enhance their knowledge about health care
- Examine other career opportunities at UW Health
- Improve reading, writing and math skills
Participants who successfully complete the program participate in a celebratory graduation.