The Department of Neurological Surgery at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health (UW SMPH) is pleased to announce openings for a one-year spine fellowship beginning in July 2025 and thereafter. This fellowship presents a unique opportunity to join one of the most established and advanced CAST-accredited centers in the Midwest. This fellowship is directed by Nathaniel Brooks, MD.
At UW SMPH, we train world-class spine surgeons. We seek to refine your training in traditional spine techniques and indications, as well as to elevate your skills with hands-on involvement in complex open and minimally invasive spine surgery. During your fellowship, you will be trained to effectively use enabling technologies such as spine stereotactic navigation, pre-operative planning technology and robotics. The multidisciplinary environment of UW SMPH teaches you to work synergistically with orthopedics, rehabilitation, pain, oncology and radiation oncology services.
The mission of this fellowship is to teach you when and how to select and perform cutting-edge surgeries, teach the next generation of spine surgeons and become a leader. You will have access to state-of-the-art clinical and research equipment, augmented by innovative imaging protocols in high technologically advanced procedures. You will collaborate closely with faculty members and clinical staff, including the Program Director, Nathaniel Brooks, MD, who bring a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the program.
- Minimally invasive
- Tubular laminectomies
- Transforaminal interbody fusions
- Cortical screw trajectory
- Retropleural thoracotomy
- Lateral interbody fusions
- Percutaneous screws
- Interlaminar and transforaminal discectomy (thoracic and lumbar)
- Posterior cervical foraminotomy
- Degenerative, deformity, trauma, infection, oncology
- Fundamentals of Spine lecture series
Spine case conference
- UW Spine Symposium
Hands-on lab training opportunities
- Lincoln Ramirez Surgical Skills Lab (on-site)
- UW Spine Surgical Skills Lab
- Clinical research
- Anatomical/surgical technique research
- Trauma database
- NSQIP database
- Wisconsin Institutes of Medical Research
- MD or DO with board eligibility/board certification in Neurosurgery
- Eligible to obtain a Wisconsin medical license and be credentialed at UW Health and affiliated locations
- Completion of an ACGME-accredited Neurosurgery Residency
- This position has been identified as a position of trust with access to vulnerable populations. The selected candidate must be required to pass an initial caregiver check to be eligible for employment under the Wisconsin Caregiver Law and then every two years.
About UW Health
UW Health continues to drive innovation and spearhead advancements in the treatment of spine surgeries. Our institution has been recognized as the No. 1 hospital in Wisconsin, ranked by U.S. News & World Report, for the past 12 years. With our accomplished faculty and clinical staff, we provide exceptional patient care and contribute to groundbreaking research.
- American Family Children’s Hospital — 111-bed comprehensive pediatric medical and surgical center with pediatric and neonatal surgical intensive care units.
- UW Health East Madison Hospital — 56-bed, community-based health and wellness facility
- University Hospital — 505-bed regional referral center that is home to a Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center, American College of Surgeons-verified Burn Center, one of the nation’s largest organ transplant programs, one of the nation’s first certified comprehensive stroke centers and the UW Health | Carbone Cancer Center, one of 41 National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive centers in the country.
- UnityPoint – Meriter Hospital — 448-bed community-based hospital provides a complete range of medical and surgical services. Since 2017, UnityPoint Health – Meriter has been operated as a joint operation with UW Health.
- William S. Middleton Memorial Veterans Hospital (VA) — 87-bed acute care facility.
Our remarkable community
To apply for this position, please submit your CV and personal statement to our Coordinator, Janelle Poehnelt at firstname.lastname@example.org.