What is the Medical Assistant Apprenticeship Program?
The Medical Assistant (MA) Program is an internal academic training program designed for individuals who are interested in receiving education and training, on paid work time, in direct patient care tasks, processes, and procedures to assist members of a patient care team in providing a broad range of health care services to patients as a Medical Assistant. All instruction will be provided on paid time. The program takes approximately 10 months to complete.
Where is the program located?
The Medical Assistant Apprenticeship Program is located at the Public Services Commission Building: 610 N. Whitney Way Suite 160, Madison, WI 53705. Parking is free and it is located on a bus line.
What courses will I be taking in the program?
Please note these classes will be a hybrid of both online (virtual) and in-person instruction.
- Digital Literacy for Healthcare
- Human Body in Health and Disease
- Medical Office Insurance and Finance
- Medical Terminology
- Pharmacology for Allied Health
- Medical Law, Ethics, and Professionalism
- MA Administrative Procedures
- MA Clinical Procedures I
- MA Clinical Procedures II
- MA Laboratory Procedures I
- MA Laboratory Procedures II
- Medical Assistant Practicum
- Eligibility to take the Medical Assistant Certification Examination (CCMA) through the National Healthcareer Association (NHA).
What are the costs for participating in the program?
Tuition for the program is completely covered. You may be responsible for some school or study supplies. Additional expenses, such as transportation to clinics for clinical requirements, are not covered as part of this program.
You will be provided with the following:
- Lab materials
- Additional instructional resources
- Academic support and tutorial services
- Clinical work attire (e.g., scrubs)
What happens at the end of the program?
Upon completion of the program the student will graduate and be eligible to apply to a Medical Assistant position and sit for the Medical Assistant Certification Examination (CCMA).
Do I automatically get placed in a Medical Assistant position?
No. After completion of the program you will apply internally to a Medical Assistant position and complete a talent requisition interview as well as hiring manager interviews.
What happens if I don’t pass the Medical Assistant Certification Examination?
You have one year from the date of transfer into your Medical Assistant position to complete your certification. You have a total of three attempts to pass the national certification exam. Your first attempt is paid for through the program.