The Health Psychology department at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics in Madison offers a one-year practicum program. The program is designed for graduate students who are enrolled in an APA-accredited doctoral program in clinical or counseling psychology and who seek an advanced practicum experience.
Students will engage in supervised clinical work, didactic experiences, and optional research activities aimed at introducing them to the field of Health Psychology. Through their work, they will explore a range of assessment and intervention techniques while learning more about the psychosocial aspects of various health issues and medical diagnoses.
The Health Psychology department at University Hospital seeks to provide practicum students with an opportunity to work in an energizing and enriching environment, where they learn to assist patients with important tasks such as the following:
- Coping with illness/disability, removing emotional obstacles to proper self-care
- Adhering to medical treatment regimens
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with medical providers
- Understanding the illness experience within the context of significant relationships, such as family relationships
- Creating a sense of meaning or purpose in the experience of suffering and illness
UW Health Clinical Services
Health Psychology Post-Doctoral Fellowship Program