The Upper Extremity Physical Therapy Fellowship at UW Health is a 14-month physical therapy program. This program is run in collaboration with the Toronto Blue Jays and accepts one applicant per year. The fellowship takes place in both Madison, Wis., and Dunedin, Fla. Our fellowship is dedicated to advancing the knowledge and skills of physical therapists to manage injuries and performance training for upper extremity athletes.
About the Upper Extremity Physical Therapy Fellowship
This fellowship focuses on case-based learning, sport-specific biomechanics and return-to-play decision-making that is both patient-centered and evidence-based, with a goal of developing superior leaders, scholars, clinicians and educators.
Fellows are compensated as part of a stipend package that includes dental and health insurance.
Occupational Hand Therapy Fellowship curriculum
The UW Health Upper Extremity Physical Therapy Fellowship will focus on the fellow’s development of knowledge, competency and advanced practice skills in the following core areas:
- Upper quarter/lower quarter screening
- Upper spine
- Direct access (DA) medical screening
- DA sports screening
- DA radiology
- DA pharmacology
- DA case competency
- Shoulder girdle
- Sports-specific unit
- Swimming biomechanics analysis and treatment
- Throwing biomechanics analysis and treatment
- Strength and power
- Sports performance
- September 2023–February 2024: UW Health Sports Rehabilitation, Madison, Wis.
- March 2023–August 2023: Toronto Blue Jays Training Facility, Dunedin, Fla.
- September 2023–October 2023: UW Health Sports Rehabilitation, Madison, Wis.
Marc Sherry, PT, DPT, LAT, CSCS, PES
Dan Enz, PT, LAT, SCS