Residency Program Goals
The UW Health Athletic Training Residency Program seeks to:
- Provide athletic trainers with a comprehensive 12-month residency with didactic, scholarly, and clinical experiences providing an emphasis in musculoskeletal assessment and diagnosis within the sports medicine and orthopedic setting.
- Prepare athletic training residents to participate as versatile members of a healthcare team within the sports medicine and orthopedic setting through the application of advanced knowledge and skills.
- To develop athletic training professionals who apply their advanced knowledge of musculoskeletal assessment and diagnosis in employment settings consistent with their residency training.
Resident Learning Outcomes
UW Health Athletic Training Residents will:
- Demonstrate advanced knowledge beyond their initial professional preparation in the area of musculoskeletal assessment and diagnosis within the sports medicine and orthopedic setting.
- Apply the CAATE Post-Professional Core Competencies to professional practice:
- Employ patient-centered care
- Demonstrate interdisciplinary collaboration
- Interpret and apply evidence to guide their athletic training practice
- Reflect for the purpose of quality improvement
- Apply healthcare informatics
- Demonstrate professional conduct
- Demonstrate competence through successful completion of the orthopedic technologist exam.
- Prepare and present scholarly work in an interdisciplinary educational forum.
Goal: To develop athletic training professionals who apply their advanced knowledge of musculoskeletal assessment in diagnosis in employment settings consistent with their residency training.
Performance Indicators: 80% of residents will work in an employment setting consistent with their residency training 6 months post program completion.
UW Health Athletic Training Residency Program Aggregate Data (2016-2019)
- Completion Rate: 100%
- Employment Rate: 100%; employed in the clinical setting
- Retention Rate: NA; 12-month program
|Residency Year||Number of Residents||Completion Rate||Employment Rate||Retention Rate|