The UW Health Pharmacy Technician Training Program in Madison, Wisconsin, has been designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills to be successful in your career as a pharmacy technician. Our 18-week program is accredited through the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE).
Our philosophy is to learn in a classroom environment, practice through simulated labs and do in actual patient-centered pharmacies.
There are already multiple career paths and advancements to choose from, as the role of the pharmacist continues to evolve, it continues to create more opportunities for the advancement of the pharmacy technician.
- May 2, 2022: Accepting applications
- June 10, 2022: Applications due
- Week of June 20, 2022: Interviews
- Week of June 27, 2022: Official notification of acceptance
- July 25, 2022: Class begins
- Aug. 22, 2022: Accepting applications
- Sept. 30, 2022: Applications due
- Week of Oct. 10, 2022: Interviews
- Week of Oct. 17, 2022: Official notification of acceptance
- Nov. 7, 2022: Class begins
- Nov. 28, 2022: Accepting applications
- Jan. 6, 2023: Applications due
- Week of Jan. 16, 2023: Interviews
- Week of Jan. 23, 2023: Official notification of acceptance
- Feb. 20, 2023: Class begins
- Applicants must be 18 years of age (or 17 with requirements)
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Typical physical requirements: (Medium) Ability to lift up to 50 pounds maximum with frequent lifting/and or carrying objects weighing up to 25 pounds. Technicians may be required to stand for long periods of time.
The training program, located in our pharmacy-specific training center, is an 18-week program, including didactic/classroom time, lab time and experiential training.
Our program is designed to teach our students everything they need to know in order to be a skilled pharmacy technician.
Upon successful completion of the program, our students sit for the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam. The current exam format started in January 2020, and we have a 100 percent passing rate.