The Sports Physical Therapy Residency at University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics is a full-time, 14-month program.
UW Hospitals and Clinics is dedicated to providing excellence in patient care, teaching, research and community service. In accordance with that mission, the Sports Rehabilitation department has created a post-professional clinical residency program in Sports physical therapy.
The mission of the UW Health Sports Physical Therapy Residency Program is to foster and augment advanced development of superior practitioners of sports rehabilitation who are leaders, scholars, clinicians and future educators. This residency will focus on case-based learning, sport-specific biomechanics and return to play decision-making that is patient-centered and evidence-based. The program will prepare the resident by utilizing:
- Experience in patient care
- Didactic education, independent study, journal clubs
- Analysis of applicable scientific and physical therapy literature
- Observation of surgical procedures and physician clinics
- Event coverage on-field or in training room
- Presentations to staff and physical therapy interns
The resident will be prepared to function as an interdependent practitioner in a collaborative medical model through patient care experience, mentoring, didactic instruction, specialty clinic training and independent study. The resident will engage in critical analysis of scientific literature and application to physical therapy practice.